Monday, May 28, 2007

I'm Blogging!

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I'm a technology integration teacher at Relay Elementary in Baltimore, Maryland. I recently attended the MICCA conference (a conference for technology using educators in Maryland and surrounding vacinity). I have heard about blogging, podcasting, wikis for a while now. When I heard Will Richardson and Hall Davidson speak at the conference, I decided to be part of the wave, rather than just a spectator so I'm starting this blog.

Initially, my focus will be on the part of my job that entails helping other elementary school teachers in my school learn how to integrate technology into their instruction. I view this part of my job as "coaching". I'm hoping to elicit a dialog with other professionals who are coaches on technology integration as well.

Being a technology integration coach is sometimes like being a tight rope walker. I feel that I need to be careful with each step. I want to support teachers as they attempt new techniques. I don't want them to feel that I judge them. I make every effort to be encouraging. However, sometimes I have knowledge that would help their lessons to be more effective. I struggle with when I should advise them about things I have learned and when I should let them learn themselves. I recognize this balance is hard to accomplish.

As a parent and teacher myself, I recognize that knowing when to help and when to let go takes care and wisdom. I look forward to reflecting on this topic and hope other technology integration coaches that eventually stumble upon this blog will join me in the dialog.

No comments: